Friday, March 11, 2016

A Family Friendly Dining Space

It's Friday again, so that means it's time for another post! So far so good with my new blogging schedule!  This week has gone by so fast, and it's been a busy one for sure.  We are finally experiencing Spring like weather in our area and it has really got me motivated for Spring decor and yard work.  I finished packing up the remaining winter decor I had out this past weekend.  Before dragging out too much Spring stuff, I'd like to finish de-cluttering a few spaces throughout our house.  I started applying the Kon-Mari method of organizing to our home last summer, but slowed down a bit over the winter.  It's time to get back to that, and fast.

Today I thought I would share a space in our home that I haven't really shared yet, our dining space.  We have an eat-in kitchen rather than an actual dining room, which I love.  We are very casual, so this layout serves our family well!  I shared a glimpse of this space when I posted about our kitchen several months ago, but we don't even have that same table anymore, so it's definitely time for an update.


Our previous table was a counter height table, and I never really loved it.  My mother in law found our new table at an estate sale, and I couldn't be happier with it.  I painted the table white, and the chairs blue and gray.  I love having extra seating in case we have guests and I love the charm the set adds to our farmhouse.  I seem to always shy away from furniture that is too new looking.  I was sure to distress everything as I usually do, so any dings that our kid's add  just adds to the character.


The hutch was here when we moved in.  It fits the kitchen so well, so when I learned it was for sale we decided to purchase it.  I painted the backing white to brighten it up a little, but everything else stayed the same.  I love the contrast of wood toned pieces in light and airy spaces.


I filled the hutch with china given to me by Roby's grandmother along with a few crystal pieces she gave me as well.  I was so happy to unpack those boxes! I've had them for years, but never had a place to display them until now!


This view shows you how our dining space ties in with the rest of our kitchen.  I like to keep things casual, light, bright, and airy.  I seriously thought about clearing off the counters like I usually do before I snap blog photos, but I decided not to.  I love to style spaces for photos, but I've learned that by doing that I tend to mis-lead people into thinking that's how our house looks all the time. Not the case at all. So now you can see what our kitchen looks like on a typical day.  And this is when I consider it to be especially clean and tidy, which doesn't usually last long. :)


And lastly, the best part of this space is how we use it!  With the way my husband works, we rarely get to sit down together as a family for a meal, so we make it a priority when we are all home together on the weekends.  And yes, that Yoo-hoo is totally mine.


My how I love this crew!

Thanks so much for taking the time to stop by for a visit.  I hope you have a fabulous weekend with the ones you love most!  I'll be back next Friday!

You can also find me on Instagram & Pinterest!



2 comments:

  1. Your dining room is lovely, and has the feel and look that I am trying to achieve in my own dining room which is getting a total makeover. I just received a hutch very similar to yours, and had been debating whether or not to paint it. After seeing how beautiful yours looks, I have decided to leave mine as is. Thank you for this post, you have helped me make a major design decision which I have been agonizing over for weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lala! I'm so happy to help with your decision! I love painted pieces but adding wood tones helps balance things out and adds a touch of warmth!

      Delete