Saturday, January 31, 2015

Vintage Bench Makeover


My grandmother gave me this cute vintage bench recently and I couldn't wait to give it a makeover and put it in our farmhouse.  It's the perfect size and I love all the little details.

Here's where I started,


The first step was to take off the seat which was attached to the base with eight screws. Then I applied the first coat of chalk paint.  I used the same chalk paint I used for our living room tables.


Next I applied the second coat, then distressed the bench with sandpaper, and applied a coat of furniture wax.


While the wax was drying I got to work on the seat.


I found this piece of fabric in my fabric stash that I keep.  I always like to have fabric on hand for small projects like this.  I cut the piece to the correct size and then secured the fabric in place using tiny tack nails.  Ideally I would have used a staple gun, but I have yet to purchase one of my own.  These nails actually worked really well though!  When using nails for something like this, you just have to be sure they are short enough not to poke through the seat.  That could be bad!


As for the corners, I just folded the fabric in the same way you would wrap a gift with wrapping paper.  I was able to achieve the best look using that method.


After the seat was complete, I screwed it back in place and that was it!






I love giving new life to old pieces.  I'm pretty sure this is one of my favorite pieces of furniture now! 

Have a BLESSED day!

Let's be friends!
Follow me on Instagram & Pinterest!

Sharing Here,

8 comments:

  1. What an adorable bench. You did a great job. It's great to re-do things into something pretty and usable isn't it. What type of wax do you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! It is definitely great to give new life to old pieces! I love it! I use Miniwax brand furniture wax, but I'm pretty new to using the chalk paint/wax combo, so I'm hoping to try out some new products soon!

      Delete
  2. This is darling Leah. Wonderful job on the bench makeover. I love ticking fabric!
    Please, Pretty Please come link this project up at my new link up party. :)

    http://therobinsnestdesigns.com/feather-your-nest-friday-link-up/

    Lory XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lory! I will do that! Sounds fun, thanks for the invite!

      Delete
  3. It looks great! I am enjoying following along with your new house. Everything is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! That means so much! Hope you are doing well!

      Delete