Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Flooring Update

I finally finished uncovering the original flooring I found in our foyer.  I am so excited to know that these floors run all throughout the first floor!  It will take a while to uncover them all but it will be all worth it in the end.  Come on in and see!



These floors are exactly what I wanted, but I had no clue they were already here, hiding underneath all that carpet and plywood!  This kind of character can't be bought! I am so thankful we discovered them!


As for restoring them, that was a lot of work! I'm no professional when it comes to this kind of work, but I knew I wanted to maintain the character and keep the rustic look and feel of the flooring.  I cleaned them with Murphy's Oil soap over and over until they were clean.  Next I lightly sanded them with sandpaper by hand to smooth them down a little.  The last thing I did was apply a coat of Rejuvenate in a satin finish and that's it.  It sounds simple, but the process took forever! So worth it in the end though to get these results!  I actually applied stain to some of the boards in the beginning, but quickly sanded it off when I realized they looked much better in their original state.


 

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a BLESSED day!

5 comments:

  1. Wow! They are gorgeous. What a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are gorgeous--and you could never replicate the beautiful patina of old wood flooring. So much work--but you did a beautiful job...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That floor is amazing! You did a great job freshening them up but keeping the character. I love following your house renovations. Thanks for all the updates so I can live vicariously through you! haha I love old homes but my husband says we are never buying one, so this blog is one of my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your floors look incredible! I love watching you transform your farmhouse. Great work!

    ReplyDelete