Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Organization in the Kitchen & Laundry Room - DIY Tray Inserts

Lately I have had a thing for trays.  I find myself grouping things on trays all throughout our house.  I think it makes everything look a little neater, especially in the kitchen.

My kitchen is small and I have very limited counter space, so the least little thing lying on the counter tends to look like clutter, to me anyways.  So, grouping commonly used items on a tray just looks nicer!


 I have been trying to do more cooking lately.  It's definitely a weakness for me, so anything to make it a little easier is a win!  One thing I find that makes this chore easier is having the essentials right beside the stove.  This is where the tray, well basket, comes in!

This is a basket I have had for so long I can't even remember where it is from.  It was the perfect size to hold everything I needed, and it fit the space well.  The only problem was since it's a basket, there was not a smooth surface to set everything on.  The oil kept falling over, and salt and pepper were spilling through the weaves of the basket. 

I decided to whip up something to solve my dilemma. It's definitely nothing fancy, but it does the job, and I didn't spend a penny! 


I used a piece of wrapping paper that I already had. You may recognize it from this project.  I cut a piece of cardboard to fit the bottom of the basket, and taped the wrapping paper around it, wrapping it as you would a gift. 


Next, I wrapped the entire piece with clear contact paper to create a wipe-able surface.  Then I plopped it down in the basket and arranged my cooking essentials on top.  That's it! 


Eventually I would like to do this project using a sheet of acrylic to create something a little more permanent, but for now this is working great! Everything sits level and I can easily wipe up any spills. The fun print of the paper is an added bonus!






While I was at it, I went ahead and made an insert for this old wooden crate.



For this one I used contact paper leftover from my pantry project, which I still need to post about. 

I placed it in our laundry room to hold all my laundry supplies.  This way I can have my laundry essentials within reach and it still looks neat and organized.



I like the character this old crate brings to this space as well.  I'm off to put the finishing touches on our pantry so I can share it with you soon!

Have a BLESSED day!

Linking up here:

12 comments:

  1. So cute! I just picked up a tray at the Goodwill for $2 and have been thinking about how I can give it a facelift. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristin! I really need to hit up our Goodwill. A new one opened up near me a while back and I STILL have not checked it out!

      Delete
  2. Hey girl! Looks great! Hop on over to my blog, there is something there for you today!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a fantastic idea! I might be doing this one in the near future. I'm a huge fan of trays as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant friend! That is such a great idea!!! I love trays as well and this is such a great way to add some prettiness!!! A wonderful week ahead to you friend! Nicole xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks beautiful congrats :)

    Catherine Vargas
    Vintage Girls
    www.vindiebaby.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! I am in the process of organizing our pantry and it is already feeling much more organized and easy to navigate. I love the papers that you chose. You have so many great tutorials on your blog so I nominated you for a Liebster Award. Here are the details: http://www.thechicdream.com/2014/03/liebster-award-nomination.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for posting this info. I just want to let you know that I just check out your site and I find it very interesting and informative. I can't wait to read lots of your posts.
    diabetes destroyer program

    ReplyDelete