Monday, January 20, 2014

Kitchen Shelf Styling {Winter Edition}

After all the Christmas decorations were taken down everything around here just felt kind of empty, sort of like a blank slate. I really took this time to think about my 2014 goals for this little house of ours. One of those goals was to clean out every nook and cranny in this house and purge purge purge! I really want to live life more simply and part of that is getting rid of all the excess stuff we have lying around. I have successfully started this project! Since the beginning of January I have been sorting, cleaning, and donating lots stuff that we no longer need, and it feels so good!

I took time out a couple of weeks ago to re-style our kitchen shelves in the midst of all my purging madness! I couldn't stand to look at the bare shelves any longer. You may have caught a glimpse of them here



I used the top shelf to display my new cow picture as well as the painting that I once had in my dining area. The framed cow print was a T.J. Maxx clearance find a couple of months ago. My husband farms on the side, so we have plenty of cows around here keeping us company. This print just seemed very fitting, and I love the distressed frame.



The woven covered vase is another T.J. Maxx find. I have had it for a couple of years now. The flowers are from Michael's. I love these artificial hydrangeas! They are always bright and full and they never die! I'm sure most people think fake flowers are not very cool, but I love them! I still like to pick up the occasional discount grocery store bouquet, just for an extra pick-me-up now and then. I also love picking flowers from outside to fill vases around here in the Spring and Summer months. Oh Springtime please hurry!


On the right side of the top shelf is a bottle {another T.J. Maxx find}, some stacked blue glass cups from Ikea, and a small white bowl from World Market filled with corks for a little texture. I think the corks balance out the woven vase on the opposite side.


The lower shelf holds a few of our every day dishes, with the exception of the woven cups on the end. Those were Target finds last Summer and I tossed them in for a little warmth and texture.



The blue dishes are from the T.J. Maxx clearance aisle, and the clear glasses are from a local discount store in our area.



 One last thing I want to share today is my new bottle for dish detergent. It's actually intended for cooking oil I think, but it makes the perfect dish soap bottle! Before, I was using various soap pumps, but they always got rusty over time, and this seems to be the perfect solution! So far so good!


I better get back to cleaning out and purging. I have almost worked my way through our entire basement! I hope to bring you an update soon with before and in progress pictures!

Have a BLESSED day!

4 comments:

  1. I love your kitchen shelves! The blue bowls and mugs are just what I was looking for - guess I need to visit TJ Maxx! I use the same bottle for my dish soap too. It works great and looks pretty. Thanks for sharing your ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your house is so cute!!! BTW, I received the Lowes giftcard from the giveaway yesterday! I tried to hide it from my husband but he checked the mail and saw me open it LOL

    ReplyDelete