Monday, December 9, 2013

Christmas Craft - DIY NOEL letters

This past weekend I finished a little craft project I had been wanting to do for quite sometime.

 After my son's Tractor Party, I switched out the art on the shelf in our dining area for a large mirror and a wreath. The little shelf seemed like the perfect spot for me to add a little Christmas decor.  So, here is what I came up with.


This was actually pretty easy and I didn't spend a penny! I'm all about making the most of what you have before going out and buying something new. 

Supplies:
Poster board
Scissors
Glue
Yarn
Clear nail polish

I'm sure most everyone already has this stuff around their house.

Step 1:
Free hand the letters in the design you want onto poster board. I used inserts that came in my husband's new dress shirts. I always save things like that, you never know when they may come in handy! See how my little man helped me with this part?


Step 2:
Cut the letters out.


Step 3:
Begin wrapping the yarn around the letters and securing with glue. I used stick glue because it was much easier to work with. I rubbed a little on the front and back of each letter and then began to wrap, wrap, wrap.


Step 4:
Secure any fraying ends with clear nail polish. Works like a charm!


Step 5:
Display your new creation!


I had to bend each letter a little so they would lean against the mirror the way I wanted. I'm sure you could use something more sturdy like maybe card board to keep from having to do that. I like the flexibility of the poster board though.

The burlap ribbon is from Walmart, and the little votive holders are a recent Target purchase.



I love the blend of textures on our little shelf now, and how the votive holders give the display a little sparkle!

There you have it, a quick and simple Christmas craft for zero dollars!

Have a BLESSED day!

P.S. This month's giveaway is for a $25 gift card to Lowe's! Click HERE to enter!

Linking up here:

Hi Sugarplum | Blogger Christmas Link Party
DIY Showoff * The Winthrop Chronicles * Hi Sugarplum * A Bowl Full of Lemons * Savvy Southern Style * DIY by Design * Tatertots & Jello

9 comments:

  1. Hi, Grace! I'm your newest follower on GFC! This is great and easy, how creative! I'll link up once I'm done with mine, thinking of adding silver/gold glitters :) Thanks for sharing!

    xo,
    ochibernadas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great idea!

    Erica
    www.FortheLoveofDecorating.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really cute, kudos for using supplies on hand. Love the muted colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your yarn letters. The texture is awesome and I love that you had all of the supplies on hand already. Would love to have you link this up to my Fall into Fall party going on right now. Hope to see you there. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely love these. Thanks for linking up to DIYbyDesign. I will be featuring this tonight at my Fall into Fall party that opens at 8pm EST. Please stop by and pick up an I've Been Featured button. Thanks. http://diybydesign.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow i love how this turned out and the your great inexpensive idea's for making it great job

    ReplyDelete