Thursday, August 15, 2013

Audrey's homework zone

 Audrey's room has gone through quite a few changes since I last shared it here. A few months ago she decided it was time to decorate her room her way, just the way she wanted it, so I said sure! I was excited that she expressed an interest in making her space her own at only 5 years old!

Today I want to share her little desk space. My sweet girl started Kindergarten yesterday, and did you know Kindergarten students now have homework? What!? I wanted to create a space just for her so she can work away in peace and quiet without distractions from little brother. 



 I'm sure you noticed right away the new wall color, isn't it fun?! She picked it out all by herself.



The desk is from Target. They are on sale this week for $39. Everything else in this zone we already had, so that's all the money we spent! The desk is a little large, but I figure she will grow into it. Hopefully we will get a few years out of it! She has already tried out her new space, and she is able to sit comfortably, even though she is little bitty. We usually place a pillow in the chair for her to sit on.


I tried to keep the items on the desk simple. Only displaying what she will actually need to complete her homework. The little tin containers are from Target's dollar aisle a while back. They were too cute to pass up, I knew I would need them somewhere eventually. The little frame has her favorite picture of her with her pre-school friends. That has been one of hardest things about her moving to big school...leaving her friends :( 


This is my first time ever using Washi tape. I can see how people become hooked on it! It's awesome! I used it to label the little tins.


I also used it to make the clothes pins pretty that I used to hang her artwork.


That's just a piece of burlap stuck to the wall with push pins. 


My grandmother gave me the chair. I used an "oops" sample can of bright pink mixed with a little sand white paint left from my kitchen, to tone it down some. I still need to seal it with something.


When I mix paint myself, I store what is left in a mason jar. It makes it easily accessible for touch-ups later on.



And that's it! Audrey's homework area! Now my big girl is ready to tackle her first year in school!

:(


Thanks for visiting, have a BLESSED day!

3 comments:

  1. It is so adorable, I LOVE that colour scheme! My oldest starts grade one in a few weeks - have been working on a homework spot for him... Almost done:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! Can't wait to see it!

      Delete
  2. I love the wall color. My oldest starts kindergarten in the fall and I want to make her a special area. We bought an old oak school desk at an auction for $3 and it needs some TLC but I think it'll be great. Now if only I could find space in her room!

    ReplyDelete