Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Switching things up! Kid's Playroom and re-arranged dining area

It's no secret, our house is not the largest ever, but it's one of the things I love about it. I love that it's cozy and I can pretend like I'm living in a little cottage. The size of the space brings us together as a family, in a good way! It also motivates me to find even better ways to organize and keep clutter to a minimum, and that's always a good thing!

That being said, we have two children and boy do they have a lot of STUFF! Thankfully, they each have their own room, but they rarely ever actually play in their rooms. Most of the time they play in the main living areas of the house. I try to make sure there is toy storage in each and every room of our house, but things were getting more and more crazy...toy overload...Mama going nuts!

We have a play space in our unfinished basement. I painted and spruced it up the best I could for now, and they actually love it. The thing is, it's much more appealing in the winter when there's a fire in the wood stove and it's nice and cozy.  During the Summer months it's much more basement-ish feeling, so we don't go down there as often. 

So, my solution to all the madness?

Turn our dining room into a playroom!


You may remember this space looking more like this:


Luckily there is plenty of room in our kitchen for our dining set, since that's where we originally had it before we added on. So, I moved everything around and created a playroom for my little munchkins.


The white cube shelf and all the baskets and bins are from Target. They were in our nursery before.


The lamp was given to me by a friend years ago. I spruced it up with brushed nickel spray paint and added a new shade from Target.

I kept the existing curtain panels up. They are nice and neutral and balance the space well.

The ottoman to the left also holds toys, and the striped blanket is always on hand for playing picnic (one of Audrey's favorite things to do!) or wrapping up to read a book.


The chalkboard table I made for them hangs out in here, and they are loving it. They play on it all the time. We use the table for more than just drawing. They have plenty of meals at this table too. I simply wipe it down with a damp cloth to remove all the chalk dust, and then it's just like any other table.


I purchased the wool rug from T.J. Maxx several years ago. It was previously in our sitting area in the kitchen. I think it kinda looks like it was chosen and purchased just for this space.



My little man loves tractors. He talks about them constantly. This one belonged to my husband when he was a kid. No playroom is complete without a few toy tractors!


Now for the second part of this post, our new dining space!

Remember our little kitchen sitting area?


Well, it is now our dining room.


Since we no longer needed the two black chairs for our sitting area, I placed them at each end of the dining table.


I painted subtle stripes on the wall to help ground the dining space so our table and chairs didn't look like they were floating around in la-la land.

I may need to get a rug to go underneath the table one day. I love that look, just now sure how hard it would be to keep clean!



So there you have it. Our Summer re-arranging with no money spending involved! Score!

Have a BLESSED day!
Leah

Linking up here:









26 comments:

  1. Your house looks so fresh and inviting! I love the stripes on the dining room wall. Do you think you'll keep your new play area in the winter as well, or move down to the basement? I love that your kids can play while you are in the kitchen getting stuff done. Great space!

    Kristin
    www.everyday-organizing.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Kristin!
      Thanks so much for your kind words! I plan on leaving it there as of now because the kid's love it so much. Last year I made that room a little sitting area and we had our Christmas Tree in there, so if it stays as a playroom I will have to find a new place for our tree! If the kid's keep on loving it, there is no way I could take it away from them! :)

      Delete
    2. Can you tell me the paint colors you used for the stripes in your dining area? I keep going back to look at the picture because I think the colors might be good for my son's room. (And I love those stripes!)

      Delete
    3. Sure! The main wall color is Sand White by Glidden, and the darker color is Linen by Valspar.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you so much! :) It's always a work in progress it seems! haha

      Delete
  3. This is fantastic! I love you little mirror above the bookcase and the stripes on the dining area wall! Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I really appreciate that!

      Delete
  4. It looks amazing! If you get a chance, please link up to my party: http://suburbsmama.blogspot.com/2013/08/sunday-linky-19.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rita! I linked up to your party this week! Thanks for inviting me!

      Delete
  5. I think it's brilliant! It only makes sense to do what works best for your family in your home. Great job! I'm including a link back in Friday's DIY highlights! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!!! I am so honored! Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  6. AH honey!!! It looks amazing!!!!! The colors in the play area are perfect! And do I ever love those drapes!!! My goodness does this just rock! And it was like your table was made for its new home with the chalkboard wall! Keep it coming! So inspiring!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Nicole! Your sweet comments have always motivated me to keep going! :)

      Delete
  7. Such a fun update! I am enjoying browsing through your blog...
    Have a nice weekend!!
    xo,
    Anjana.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for visiting! I hope you have a nice weekend as well!

      Delete
  8. It all LOOKS GREAT but best of all is a clever use of apace and resources !! I am bookmarking your blog...coming back to visit some more later and I am over here from Brenda's Welcome Wagon Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I truly appreciate that! Thanks so much for stopping by! Have a great weekend!

      Delete
  9. I love it Leah! It only makes sense to use your space how it suits your family best. And the dining set in your kitchen looks fabulous - love the black chairs on the ends of the table!! The dining space makes an adorable playroom and it is great to have them close at hand:) You have such cute style - adding you to my bloglovin' and look forward to following!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krista! The kids are loving their new space and so am I! I really appreciate all of your kind comments. I hope you have a great weekend!

      Delete
  10. I loved your curtains so much that I just HAD to go buy them at Target!! I'm glad they were on sale for $15 right now! =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!!! I'm so glad you found them!! $15 is a great deal! What would we ever do without Target!? Thanks for visiting and commenting!

      Delete
  11. Hi! Great space! Could you tell me what the color is in thr now play room? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey there! Thanks! It's Autumn Fog by Valspar.

    ReplyDelete