Tuesday, May 21, 2013

A glimpse of outside around our house

First of all I want to say that my thoughts and prayers are with all of those affected by the terrible tornados that have happened lately. I cannot imagine the pain and suffering so many are going through. My heart reaches out to them.

Today is the first semi-sunny day we have had around our area lately, so I thought it may be a good time to sneak outside and take some pics of ~Spring~ around our house.

My 4 year old daughter is really into gardening and planting flowers this year. I'm hoping maybe she will teach me a few things because it's definitely not my strong point!

We took a trip to Lowe's where I let her pick out the flowers that she wanted and then let her plant them herself. We used various pots that we already had. A couple were given new life with a fresh coat of spray paint in green apple.




My favorite pot of all is the one she painted for me at school for Mother's day.


She worked so hard pouring in the potting mix, planting the flowers, and making dirt pies with her little brother.


 The flowers in the tan colored pot above and the ones in the large green flower pot are flowers we received as guests at a recent baby shower, so I'm not really sure what they are.

The others are Pentas (green rectangle container), White Queen Caladium (blue floral pot), and Petunia hybrid (purple flowers in the brown pot on the other side of the door)


 The pink flowers in the basket are geraniums and the little yellow flower is a marigold.

Didn't she do well!!??

I'm so proud of her for having such an interest in flowers and gardening, and she did an awesome job planting them all.

A few years ago my grandmother gave me some hostas that she dug up from her yard. My house was so plain outside and I didn't really have a plan of what I wanted to do, so I just stuck them in the ground wherever.

A few years later and this is what they look like:


Crammed everywhere and no room to breathe!

I began digging them up and re-planting them around the tree in our front yard.



I'm not sure if this is the right time of year to move them, so who knows if they will survive! Again, I'm totally a newbie to this kind of stuff! But, I'm really enjoying the way they look in their new home. I still need to fill in with more white rocks to hide the mess of dirt that I made while planting them.



Isn't the view beautiful! I have big dreams of a giant front porch so we can really enjoy this view some day!







So that's what we have been up to lately!

Have a BLESSED day!
Leah

No comments:

Post a Comment