Tuesday, January 29, 2013

New old dining room table

A couple of years ago I ordered a new dining table online. I loved the look of it and thought it would be really cool having a counter height table.


After we received it and put it together I still loved it, but it felt way to big for our small house. I re-positioned it every way I could think of. I decided to wait until our addition was complete and give this table another chance.  No matter what, it was just too big and bulky for our house. It's hard to tell from the picture, but in person it was just too much of a table.

It has been moved to the basement and now serves as our craft table. It's actually nice because Audrey can do her crafts without worrying about her little brother pulling everything off the table since he can't reach it. :)

Anyways, I was on the hunt for a new dining table, and in the form of hand-me-downs from three different dining sets, I found one!


Here is our new dining room table and chairs!


I began by sanding everything down and cleaning it all with a damp cloth. Next, I spray painted all the chairs. For the four black chairs I chose a satin finish, and for the two white chairs on each end I chose a glossy white. I also spray painted the base of the table with the same black spray paint as the chairs.

After the chairs dried and cured completely (I waited about 2 or so weeks) I used a course sanding block to sand all the edges to allow the previous wood color to show through. It gave them a nice antiqued look.


Next, I tackled the top. It was a bit more challenging due to the glossy finish. It required lots of sanding with an electric sander to get it dull enough to re-stain.


I used the same stain I used for my kitchen cart makeover, but this time it turned out a little lighter. I'm still happy with the results.

It took me about a month to finish this project. I worked on it in stages as I had the time. Mostly during nap times and in the mornings before the kids woke up.

It was worth it! It fits into our space much nicer than our previous table, and we can now seat 2 extra people, which is nice for when we have guests. Plus it has that cottage feel, especially in person.




Have a blessed day!

Linked up to:

Boogieboard Cottage
 
The Chicken Chick
 
The Shabby Nest

5 comments:

  1. Hi! I’m new follower of your blog and would like to invite you to join me at my weekly Clever Chicks Blog Hop: http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2013/02/clever-chicks-blog-hop-20-and-lollipop.html





    I hope you can make it!

    Cheers,

    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! Thanks so much! Your blog is fantastic!

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful set. Thank you for sharing with the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week; I hope you’ll join us again!


    Cheers,
    Kathy Shea Mormino

    The Chicken Chick

    http://www.The-Chicken-Chick.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this great post, i find it very interesting and very well thought out and put together. I look forward to reading your work in the future.
    davidandrews diabetes

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fabulous post this has been. Never seen this kind of useful post. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete