Tuesday, September 11, 2012

From desk to kitchen cart

For a couple of years now I have been dreaming of a little kitchen island. I know my kitchen isn't the largest ever, but I still knew somehow I could accommodate a kitchen cart/island in there.

I shopped around for a while and nothing ever really sang to me. (well, nothing in my price range!) I moved on to other things with the hope that one day something would come along that I loved and would work for our limited space.

A few months ago a few furniture pieces were passed down to us from my husband's great grandmother. One of them was this awesome desk.




Can't you just see the potential! It's perfect! I love that it is symmetrical and narrow enough for the space. As soon as I came up with a plan, my kiddos and I headed out the door to Lowe's and came back with these things:

 *4 casters 
*2 little baggies of screws
*1 sample container of Valspar paint (Prussian Cadet is the color)
(for small projects I always have a sample mixed in the color I want.)
*1 can of Rust-Oleum wood stain in dark walnut

The first thing I did was screw the casters on to the bottoms of each desk leg.  Doing this first made painting much easier since the legs were off of the ground. This was actually more time consuming than I expected. I wanted to make sure the cart had wheels so it can be versatile in the kitchen. Plus it gives it that look that says "I belong in the kitchen and I'm not a desk!"



Next up was the painting. To begin, I lightly sanded the desk with a sanding block and wiped it clean with a damp cloth. I painted the blue first, and then stained the top and the bottom shelf with the dark walnut stain.

I didn't take pictures of the painting/staining process. I kind  of got on a roll and forgot. Plus it was 4am so maybe my brain was a bit foggy! Yes, most of my projects get done at crazy hours! You know how it is when you are a mom! You have to do things whenever you can.

Anyways, here is the end result! Along with a little rug switcharoo.




Do you see the sweet white dish I placed on top of the kitchen cart? It started out like this:



 I picked this up at my best friend's yard sale a while back for 10 cents! After a coat of spray paint primer and glossy white spray paint (I use Valspar spray paint) it became my new favorite kitchen accessory.

My new kitchen cart/island cost less than 25 dollars to make-over and I love that it has a sentimental meaning as well. It completely pepped up our kitchen and added some much needed surface space.



Have a Blessed day!
Linked up to:
TDC Before and After

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Lovely work on your island! It looks fantastic and I like your shelves in the kitchen! I'm your newest follower! Looking forward to following along! All the best...Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole! That is very sweet! Thank you so much!

      Delete
    2. Hey! I sent you a message...totally ignore it! I don't think I recognized your last name when I saw you on my follow page! Anyway..keep up the hard work you have a lovely home and great talent!!!

      Delete
    3. Hey! No worries! And thank you. Your blog is brilliant by the way! I can't wait to catch up on all your past posts.

      Delete
  2. Love your kitchen cart - my table does look very similar! Great job and so glad to have found your blog!

    ReplyDelete