Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Updating old kitchen cabinets

Our kitchen cabinets are the original cabinets that were built with our home back in the 70's. I would love to replace them completely, but that isn't an option right now, so I decided to jazz the old ones up a bit. Luckily, they are in pretty good shape, and the design is simple. They were already painted white, but they were in major need of a massive cleaning and a fresh coat of paint.


We removed all of the doors and old hardware. Then we sanded and cleaned each cabinet door and all of the cabinets inside and out. After two coats of paint, in Behr's swiss coffee, and new hardware and hinges, in a brushed nickle finish, they were looking like this.


Definitely an improvement but still lacking the character I was going for. The more I looked at the scalloped piece above the sink, the more I disliked it. So we turned it into an arch instead in an attempt to make it look a little more updated. I also decided I wanted to go for a more open look so I removed a few cabinet doors and created a little open storage. The lower cabinets got a coat of soft blue/gray paint.


I painted the interior cabinets the same blue/gray color as the lower cabinets. I was beginning to like the space a little better, but at this point I felt like it was looking to country cottage instead of the modern cottage look I was going for. So, on to the next project. 

We eventually removed the arch piece completely and removed the section of paneling that connected the two upper cabinets above the sink. Crown molding was turned upside down and added to the tops of the cabinets. We turned it upside down since there isn't any open space above our cabinets. It fit better that way.


Ahh! Looking much better! When we added our laundry room on a few months ago, unfortunately we had to lose the window. In it's place I opted for bead board along with a piece of crown molding to visually connect the two sets of upper cabinets.  Then we installed floating shelves to give things a more modern cottage look. 


The combination of open shelving above the sink and open cabinets was just too much, so the cabinet doors were put back on. New door hardware, a fresh coat of paint on the lower cabinets in a more beige/gray color instead of gray/blue, and new flooring (it's actually vinyl!) and this kitchen is complete!  Well, for now. :) Oh and I also painted the wall you see here a darker gray color, and painted the upper cabinets bright white. Additional upgrades we made to the kitchen when we moved in were new counter tops, new sink and fixtures, new appliances, and a bead board back splash.


This is what our kitchen is looking like now. I'm finally getting the modern cottage vibe I was going for! It was definitely a lot of trial and error to figure out what I liked and disliked, but well worth it in the end!

For fun, here is the before:
and the after:

Have a blessed day!
Leah

UPDATE!!! 
Here are a few updated kitchen pictures that I have recently taken:

















And now with our new appliances in place:



29 comments:

  1. Found your kitchen on Pinterest. I've been looking for ideas for updating our cabinets to tie me over as we save for our full remodel. Thank you for the inspiration! Love the modern cottagey look :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Vicky! Thanks so much, I'm glad you found me! We are saving up for a remodel as well, but I couldn't stand to live with our cabinets the way the were before. It's amazing what a little paint can do! Have a great day and please visit again soon!

      Delete
  2. Your cabinets are the exact look I am going for. I too have the soffit above my cabinets that has to remain. I am looking to add molding to the tops of the cabinet as well. Do you remember the name of the molding you chose? My soffit extends out farther than the cabinets do. Did you have this and if so, how did you remedy that so that the molding was flush with the cabinets and soffit?

    Thank you very much! Love your kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat! Thanks so much! Yes, our soffit extends out further than our cabinets as well, but I went ahead and installed the molding anyways. We actually used basic crown molding from Lowes and turned it upside down! We installed it just as you would any regular molding (flat against the wall) instead of at an angle like you typically would install crown molding. Since the soffit extends out further, it actually created the crown molding look I was going for, so it turned out to be a good thing! This was a complete guess and figure it out as you go project for us, but I'm thrilled with the results!, so I say go for it! Have a wonderful day!

      Delete
  3. Your old hinges and pulls are the exact ones that we have. Since they mount on the outside, we haven't found anything to replace them with without having to take a notch out of each cabinet door. What did you replace yours with? Did you have to do any extra work to make them fit? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Marisa! We found those at Lowe's. They were super cheap and they come in two per pack. We didn't have to make any changes to the cabinet doors for them to fit, but we did fill in the previous screw holes that were on the actual cabinet with wood putty and re drill new holes to fit the new hinges because they were a slightly different measurement. Hope that helps!

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The floor is vinyl?! Please tell what make/model ... Great job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i also like the floor - please tell us where to find it!

      Delete
  6. What did you use to cover the slits in the cabinet under your sink. We have the same exact slits in our cabinet, and I want to cover them with something. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! We covered it with a small piece of bead board left over from our back splash, then we trimmed it out with some inexpensive trim. It made the biggest difference!

      Delete
  7. Where did you get the adorable rug in front of your sink? Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I'm so sorry I missed your comment!! I know I'm way late replying but the rug is from Target and they actually still carry them!

      Delete
  8. Hello, what color did you paint the lower cabinets??!! looking for the exact color!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there! I wish I could tell you, but I can't remember! In our current farmhouse I painted the lower cabinets Valspar Java and it's very similar! I wrote a post recently and included lots of kitchen photos if you would like to check it out!

      Delete
  9. Hi Leah, I stumbled on this as I was looking on pinterest for open shelves over sinks. I was wondering if I could ask what the distance is between the cabinets over your sink (the length of your open shelves)? I love how it looks! I need to decide tomorrow (hoping I catch you in time haha) if I want a 36" or 42" space above the sink, but it's hard to visualize. I've seen some pictures where the shelves were too narrow and looked oddly disproportional, so really trying to avoid that! Thanks and wonderful job with the remodel. -Vicky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ALiu I'm so sorry I missed your comment. We are no longer in this house so I don't have those measurements. I hope your shelves turned out great!! Best of luck!

      Delete
  10. I would love to know where your fridge is! Can you post a picture of your full kitchen? We just bought a house & the kitchen is literally the EXACT same layout & size and cabinets are identical to your 'before'! We're working on updating right now & are using your update as inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jessica, I'm so happy you were able to find some inspiration here! We are no longer in this house but the fridge was located on the opposite wall by itself, sort of in a recessed wall. I'll see if I can find a picture of it somewhere, I'm sure I have one. I can email it to you if you'd like?

      Delete
  11. What beautiful kitchens! I like this look. Thanks for sharing at Home Sweet Home!
    Kitchen remodeling Austin

    ReplyDelete
  12. Kitchen cabinets
    Sooner or later, everybody wants to make some changes in their homes. Either it is the furniture you got tired of or the entire design needs a redo, even the smallest change will make you happy. Several years after carrying out some renovation works, buying beautiful furniture at that moment, you will definitely want a redo.

    100 Old Cherokee Road, Suite F – 13
    Lexington, SC 29072
    kwkitchencabinets@yahoo.com
    803-520-6545

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Leah, Beautiful kitchen cabinets design!!I love the white...so clean and new looking. I am planning to upgrade my kitchen and will add new kitchen accessories .Definitely bookmark this post for further reference.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really like the information provided in this article and I really like the way you have explained each and everything so well. Very well done with the article, hope that you will continue to do posting

    Poulin Design Center
    Kitchen Cabinet Santa Fe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good read and Great article. and I really appreciate all the great content you have here. thanks for sharing with us

    North East Factory Direct
    Cleveland Kitchen Cabinets

    ReplyDelete
  16. Good read, This blog has provided the helpful data to us, continue the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you for taking the time to publish this information very useful!
    Aluminum

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certGreat job for publishing such a beneficial web site. Your web log isn’t only useful but it is additionally really creative too. There tend to be not many people who can certainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing
    קרמיקה למטבח
    ainly write not so simple posts that artistically. Continue the nice writing

    ReplyDelete
  19. Super blog and very interesting information which I always wanted to search many article but you article is really fantastic.
    kitchen remodeling los angeles

    ReplyDelete
  20. Download over 16,000 WOODWORKING Plans at here
    https://cnnwood.weebly.com/
    Woodworking guide offers anyone of any skill level the ability to build amazing projects. The guide is extra helpful because it offers more detailed explanations, videos and blueprints then your typical woodworker magazine.
    Arbor Projects ,
    Adirondack Chairs ,
    Artwork Display ,
    Bathroom Unit ,
    Box Designs ,
    Billiard/Pool Table ,
    Barn Plans ,
    Bed Plans ,
    Bedside Cabinets ,
    Bee Hive Plans ,
    Bench Projects ,
    Bird Feeders ,
    Birdhouse Plans ,
    Boat Plans ,
    Book Case Plans ,
    Baby Changing Table ,
    Coat Rack ,
    Cabin Plans ,
    Cabinet Plans ,
    Carport Plans ,
    Cart Plans ,
    Cat House Plans ,
    CD/DVD Holder ,
    Cellar Projects ,
    Chair Plans ,
    Chest Designs ,
    Chicken Houses
    Childrens Room Plans ,
    Clock Plans ,
    Coasters ,
    Coffee Table Designs ,
    Cold Frame Plans ,
    Compost Bin ,
    Computer Desk ,
    Containers ,
    Cradle Projects ,
    Small Crafts ,
    Cutting Board ,
    Deck Plans ..

    ReplyDelete