Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Green is Gone!

About two months ago I began my biggest DIY painting project yet, the exterior of the farmhouse.  We have future plans of building a big front porch, replacing the windows and doors, adding shutters, and much more, but I just couldn't stand the green any longer!  To me it was worth it to go ahead and paint even though some things will be replaced a little later on.


 It took quite a while to complete because I did it by myself and I brushed it on.  I also painted all the windows which required taking each window apart.  It needs another coat, but I couldn't get it done before the cold weather came, so I will have to tackle that this Spring.




I chose a satin finish.  It looks perfect on all the trim, but the siding looks streaked.  I will definitely use flat paint when it comes time to do the second coat this Spring.  I probably could have saved myself from having to do a second coat if I had chosen flat in the beginning.  Oh well, now I know!



I have already started doing a little Christmas decorating!  I just couldn't resist!  I love this time of year!











It was definitely a lot of work, but painting this house made all the difference! It looks and feels so much better! And I saved nearly $4000 doing it myself. 

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a BLESSED day!

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Flooring Update

I finally finished uncovering the original flooring I found in our foyer.  I am so excited to know that these floors run all throughout the first floor!  It will take a while to uncover them all but it will be all worth it in the end.  Come on in and see!



These floors are exactly what I wanted, but I had no clue they were already here, hiding underneath all that carpet and plywood!  This kind of character can't be bought! I am so thankful we discovered them!


As for restoring them, that was a lot of work! I'm no professional when it comes to this kind of work, but I knew I wanted to maintain the character and keep the rustic look and feel of the flooring.  I cleaned them with Murphy's Oil soap over and over until they were clean.  Next I lightly sanded them with sandpaper by hand to smooth them down a little.  The last thing I did was apply a coat of Rejuvenate in a satin finish and that's it.  It sounds simple, but the process took forever! So worth it in the end though to get these results!  I actually applied stain to some of the boards in the beginning, but quickly sanded it off when I realized they looked much better in their original state.


 

Thanks so much for stopping by!
Have a BLESSED day!